Breakfast is hands down my favorite meal of the day! So much so that we often find ourselves having “breakfast” foods for lunch and dinner. As a large, busy homeschooling family, it can be challenging to not fall into the rut of dishing up a bowl of cereal or toaster strudels morning after morning. Here is a quick list of some of our most beloved breakfast alternatives!
- Frozen waffles with fruit
- oatmeal with a banana
- fruit, yogurt, and granola
- bagels with strawberry cream cheese
- bacon or sausage with eggs
- french toast (use Texas toast and make a big batch to freeze!)
- pancakes with bacon or sausage
- biscuits with sausage gravy (my husbands personal favorite – use frozen biscuits to cut prep time)
- english muffins with jam and fruit
- breakfast burritos (we like eggs, sausage, fried potatoes and cheese in ours – these also freeze great and can be microwaved quickly. Add salsa to amp up the flavor!)
- Fruit salad and toast
- homemade McMuffins prepared and frozen (pop one in the microwave)
- Spam and eggs (I hate spam but for some reason my kids love it)
- Refrigerated hard boiled eggs and toast
- Pancake wrapped sausage on a stick (like corn dogs but for breakfast, make your own or buy from frozen food aisle)
We always keep cereal in the house, but I encourage my kids to have it as a snack rather than for breakfast every day. Most cereals have lots of sugar and aren’t very filling, so a box doesn’t go far in our house.
Hopefully this has given you some ideas and you too can break the cereal habit and throw in some healthy, more filling morning meals for your family!